Band bylaws, policies and certain procedures are approved by Chief and Council to provide guidelines for interactions and services that affect members, residents, staff and businesses.
Property Taxation on Reserve Consultation Events scheduled
The Okanagan Indian Band has been looking at the issue of implementing property taxation on reserve for over 30 years, the last time was in 2008. Since 2008, many things have changed. Council wants to make sure that OKIB members have accurate information about property taxation so you can give guidance as to how to proceed. The goal of this page is to paint a clear and accurate picture of the issues around introducing property taxation on reserve. You can read frequently asked questions and answers, and see all the upcoming consultation dates.
Draft Code of Conduct policy available for review
Council made a motion that the Code of Conduct policy be placed on the website for 6 weeks and that Council would like members to review the policy and provide feedback.
Please send your comments to:
Manager, Policy and Strategic Initiatives
250-542-4328 ext. 1012
Draft Fire Protection Services By-law available for review
Without cost to OKIB members or Locatee’s tenants on IR#1 and IR#3, OKIB Fire Department personnel have been putting out house fires and providing emergency first aid to stabilize the patient until an ambulance arrives at the scene. Over the years these fire protection services have become quite expensive. To off-set expenses, OKIB recently began entering into Fire Protection Service Agreements with some Certificate of Possession land developers. Under these Agreements each of the Locatee’s tenants pays a specified amount for fire protection services; however, not all Certificate of Possession developers have done likewise.
Highlights of the proposed By-law
Once the By-law comes into force it will authorize OKIB Fire Department to enter on to any land to provide fire protection services on IR#1 and IR#3 for a period of 6 months. After the initial 6 month period Fire Department personnel are only authorized to provide fire protection services to OKIB members and Locatee tenants that pay for service under a Fire Protection Services Agreement.
The By-law prohibits OKIB from signing a Fire Protection Services Agreement if any Locatee’s tenant is not included in the Agreement. In other words, even if one tenant is not included, OKIB is not authorized to enter into the Agreement (said another way, the Agreement is an ‘all or nothing’ proposition). The By-law states that each tenant pays the Locatee who collects all the money and then pays OKIB.
The By-law also provides the Fire Chief with authority to issue permits, conduct inspections to ensure that the potential for fires is reduced, and establish standards when conducting burning or setting off fireworks. And finally, the By-law prohibits activities that could impair fire fighters from doing their job.
Policies, Plans and Bylaws
- OKIB Strategic Plan - June 2020
Policies and Procedures
- Community Complaint and Resolution process - June 25th, 2022
- Call Back to Work HR Policy - May 19, 2022
- Financial and Other Assistance for Funerals - October 26, 2021
- Mandatory COVID Vaccination Policy - September 27, 2021
- Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention Policy - September 13, 2021
- OKIB Funeral Protocol - September 13, 2021
- OKIB Policy and Procedure Manual - November 9, 2021
- Staff Organization Chart
- Membership Policy - December 21, 2020
- OKIB Document Ratification Flow Chart
- OKIB Pandemic Response Plan - March 31, 2020
- OKIB Collection Policy January 24, 2012
- Dog Control Bylaw - May 10, 2021
- Cannabis Control Law - May 4, 2020
- COVID-19 Emergency Measures Bylaw - May 11, 2020
- Dangerous Person & Trespass Bylaw - April 5, 2019
- Disposal Of Garbage And Waste Bylaw - May 25, 1992
- Financial Administration Bylaw - February 22, 2019
- Garbage And Waste Bylaw - April 27, 1976
- Range Use and Livestock Bylaw - January 21, 2020
- Sewer System By-law on Priest Valley IR#6 - January 27, 1997
- Water Bylaw Priest Valley IR#6 - January 27, 1977
- Traffic Bylaw - July 20, 1976
- Wildlife Bylaw - November 25, 2019
- Draft OKIB Fire Protection Services Bylaw - February 23, 2022
- Draft OKIB Waterworks Bylaw - November 19, 2019
- Draft Community Complaints and Resolution Policy - April 26, 2021
- Draft OKIB Administration Conflicts of Interests Policy
- Draft OKIB Governance Conflicts of Interests Policy
- Cannabis Licence Application Form - May 11, 2020