This page is OKIB's official source of information for members regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. Please bookmark this page and check back daily for updates.
COVID-19 Testing and Positive Test Results
February 8, 2021 - This fact sheet from FNHA provides information on COVID-19 testing for First Nations people in BC, including information on what to do and what supports are available if you test positive for COVID-19.
If you have received notification that you have COVID-19, please see Question Five in the FAQ for more information. Refer to Questions Three and Four for information on how to self-isolate and access support services.
And if you have received notification that you have COVID-19 please ensure you call the OKIB Nurse Hotline as we may be able to help. Call 250-241-7595.
To get your name on the vaccination list please call 250-542-5094.
Read the complete fact sheet here: COVID-19 Testing and Positive Test Results
Call OKIB Health to get on the vaccination list
January 22, 2021 - OKIB Health is compiling the list of members who wish to receive the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available.
Staff are working diligently to prepare to host COVID-19 vaccination clinics so that we can distribute the vaccine quickly when it becomes available. At this time we do not know how many doses will be delivered nor when we will receive them. Over time we will receive enough COVID-19 vaccine for all members.
A priority list for receiving the COVID-19 vaccine has been established that is consistent with both Interior Health and First Nations Health Authority guidelines. The priority list is:
- OKIB seniors age 65 and older living on and off reserve.
- Front line OKIB staff.
- OKIB members and staff.
Vaccinations will take place in the Bluebird/Golden Eagle Building where a COVID-19 vaccination clinic will be arranged. Members will be called and asked to come at an appointed time. Our goal is to vaccinate at least 90 per cent of members as vaccine becomes available.
Your patience and continued good will is appreciated as we develop our processes in preparation for the vaccination clinics. Please continue to practice lateral kindness and follow the COVID-19 protocols:
- Wash your hand regularly and avoid touching your face.
- Practice social distancing of 2 m / 6 ft.
- Wear a mask in public.
- Avoid our Elders and vulnerable people.
- Do not host or attend parties or gatherings.
- Stay home. Avoid visiting outside of your immediate household.
- No visitors, or having visits with anyone you do not live with or anyone outside your household bubble.
Several confirmed cases of COVID-19 in community
Chief Byron Louis reminds members to continue following the COVID-19 protocols
My COVID-19 Story by Rachel Marchand
January 13, 2021 - OKIB's first COVID-19 patient tells her story.
COVID-19 Community Update January 13, 2021
January 13, 2021 - The COVID-19 Community Update is available to OKIB members only. Follow this link to read it.
FNHA Provides Information About the Safety and Efficacy of the Vaccines
January 13, 2021 - Follow this link to read about the vaccines and their effectiveness from the First Nations Health Authority.
Definitive Reference for Vaccines
January 8, 2021 - Follow this link to read about the vaccines and their effectiveness from the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Additional COVID-19 resources from OKIB Health
OKIB Health has introduced several beneficial resources that speak to COVID-19 and what to do in the event a person develops respiratory / COVID-19 like symptoms. Please take some time to review and become familiar with these resources.
These are great resources for those seeking to answer the following questions:
- I have respiratory symptoms, what should I do?
- Should I go to work?
- Should I send my children to school?
- What if I am not the one sick but a family member is, what do I need to do?
- If I am sick, how long do I need to self-isolate for? When can I go back to work? When can I send my children back to school?
- What do I need to do if I decide not to test for COVID-19?
- What do I need to do if I do decide to test for COVID-19?
- If I do want to test for COVID who can I call and where is it done?
Please take a moment to review these resources, as I believe they will answer a lot of questions. Furthermore, and most importantly, it explains what a person would be required to do to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 within our community.
Let’s keep our community safe by being informed.
Way̓ lim ləmtx I Thank you
Amber Froste, RN
OKIB Community Health Nurse
Resources for reliable and current information
Follow these links for up-to-date information from reliable sources.
BC Centre for Disease Control:
- About the COVID-19 Vaccines and their effectiveness
- Questions and answers about COVID-19
- Information about COVID-19, how to protect yourself, your family and your community
- Self-isolation and testing
BC Ministry of Health:
First Nations Health Authority
- COVID-19 Testing and Positive Test Results
- About the COVID-19 Vaccines and their effectiveness
- Coronavirus web portal
- Virtual Doctor of the Day program
- Process for a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a First Nations community
Government of Canada:
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC):
Previous communications from OKIB about the pandemic
- February 8, 2021 - COVID-19 Testing and Positive Test Results
- January 22, 2021 - Call OKIB Health to get on the COVID-19 vaccination list
- January 22, 2021 - What you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccines
- January 16, 2021 - Chief Byron Louis reminds members to continue the COVID-19 protocols (video)
- January 13, 2021 - COVID-19 Community Update (accurate at 4 p.m. January 13, 2021)
- January 13, 2021 - OKIB's first COVID-19 patient tells her story
- January 13, 2021 - COVID-19 Vaccine and how they work
- January 13, 2021 - Vaccines and their effectiveness from the First Nations Health Authority
- January 8, 2021 - Vaccines and their effectiveness from the BC Centre for Disease Control
- January 8, 2021 - COVID-19 Community Update (accurate at 4 p.m. January 8, 2021)
- January 7, 2021 - Several confirmed COVID-19 cases in Community
- November 20, 2020 - Province-wide restrictions in effect at OKIB
- October 6, 2020 - Community Flu Clinics will offer free shots to all community members
- October 6, 2020 - Summary table for testing, isolation and quarantine
- October 5, 2020 - COVID-19 Winter Heating Supplement is available for members 65+
- October 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News October edition now available
- September 11, 2020 - FNHA/FNHC/FNHDA urge Nations to protect each other
- September 10, 2020 - COVID-19 Risk Index chart
- September 10, 2020 - Mask Effectiveness chart
- September 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News September edition now available
- August 20, 2020 - OKIB Health's COVID-19 Pathway of Support and Resources for Community Members
- August 17, 2020 - Accessing Information about COVID-19 and COVID-19 testing
- August 10, 2020 - Cultural Immersion School tentative Return to School plan
- August 6, 2020 - Be prepared for a second wave (video)
- August 6, 2020 - Chief and Council advises OKIB community members to be prepared for a second wave
- August 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News August edition now available
- July 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News July edition now available
- June 24, 2020 - Safe opening procedures in place at OKIB facilities
- June 18, 2020 - Letter to parents: snc'c'amala?tn Early Childhood Education Centre reopening
- June 8, 2020 - Self-management resources for community members
- June 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News June 2020 edition now available
- May 26, 2020 - Meet the OKIB Food Distribution Team (video)
- May 15, 2020 - OKIB Community Garden (video)
- May 15, 2020 - Snc'c'amala?tn Summer Camp cancelled as a precaution
- May 15, 2020 - Watch a description about the community gardens (video)
- May 14, 2020 - Update on the food hamper distribution program (video)
- May 14, 2020 - COVID-19 highlights need for better access to health-related data in First Nation communities
- May 13, 2020 - Food hamper pick-up map and instructions
- May 12, 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Measures Bylaw
- May 10, 2020 - Education Department update (video)
- May 8, 2020 - COVID-19 testing available for OKIB community members and staff
- May 7, 2020 - Chief and Council to host Membership Forum by Zoom
- May 4, 2020 - Senk'lip News May 2020 edition now available
- May 1, 2020 - Cleaning and disinfecting helps prevent the spread of illness including COVID-19
- April 30, 2020 - Information regarding COVID-19 funding for membership
- April 29, 2020 - Information about the COVID-19 Education Supplement
- April 28, 2020 - BC Housing announces Temporary Rental Supplement program
- April 24, 2020 - OKIB food hamper program to commence monthly distribution
- April 21, 2020 - OKIB Nurses Hotline can answer questions and concerns about COVID-19
- April 20, 2020 - First Nations Virtual Doctor of the Day program connects members to doctors
- April 17, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about financial supports available to members (video)
- April 17, 2020 - The Narwhal interview with Chief Byron Louis: Balancing Indigenous food security with conservation
- April 14, 2020 - New word challenge contest
- April 13, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about what we have learned from past pandemics (video)
- April 10, 2020 - Easter hamper distribution (video)
- April 9, 2020 - Chief & Council encourage seasonal visitors to stay away until further notice
- April 8, 2020 - Summary of Financial Supports
- April 8, 2020 - Wear a face mask when shopping or using public transit
- April 7, 2020 - Good Food Box and Easter hamper pick up happens April 8, 9
- April 7, 2020 - Business as usual for Social Development staff
- April 7, 2020 - Volunteer income tax preparation will resume for previous clients
- April 6, 2020 - Large quantities of food arriving
- April 6, 2020 - Isolation Scavenger Hunt contest
- April 6, 2020 - Accessing language lessons online (video)
- April 5, 2020 - OKIB Hot Meals program ramping up (video)
- April 4, 2020 - Chief Louis provides an update on the Good Food Box program (video)
- April 3, 2020 - BC brings in more emergency supports for Indigenous students
- April 2, 2020 - Senk'lip News for April 2020
- April 2, 2020 - Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak
- April 1, 2020 - Indigenous Community Support funding allocation
- April 1, 2020 - Emergency Operations Centre update
- April 1, 2020 - OKIB's Pandemic Response Plan
- March 31, 2020 - Education Bulletin: A letter to parents and students
- March 30, 2020 - Government of Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan supports
- March 29, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis discusses the OKIB Nurses Hotline 250-241-7595 (video)
- March 27, 2020 - Prayer for the community from Elder Virginia Gregoire (video)
- March 26, 2020 - Economic and income supports available to members during the pandemic
- March 26, 2020 - Rent collection during office closure
- March 26, 2020 - Online wellbriety meetings
- March 25, 2020 - OKIB Fire Department to cease medical responses immediately
- March 24, 2020 - Chief Louis' video thanking staff (video)
- March 23, 2020 - What to do if you have symptoms
- March 20, 2020 - Pandemic update
- March 19, 2020 - Chief Louis' Pandemic video #1 (video)
- March 18, 2020 - You can help reduce the impact on community
- March 17, 2020 - Symptom self-assessment tool and information on testing
- March 17, 2020 - Daycare, Cultural Immersion School, Language Nest all closed until further notice
- March 16, 2020 - OKIB offices closed for three weeks; staff will continue to provide services
- March 13, 2020 - Events suspended and a recommendation to not travel