This page is OKIB's official source of information for members regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. Please bookmark this page and check back daily for updates.
Call OKIB Health to get on the list for COVID-19 vaccine
January 15, 2021 - Coming later today.
My COVID-19 Story by Rachel Marchand
January 13, 2021 - OKIB's first COVID-19 patient tells her story.
COVID-19 Community Update January 13, 2021
January 13, 2021 - The COVID-19 Community Update is available to OKIB members only. Follow this link to read it.
FNHA Provides Information About the Safety and Efficacy of the Vaccines
January 13, 2021 - Follow this link to read about the vaccines and their effectiveness from the First Nations Health Authority.
Definitive Reference for Vaccines
January 8, 2021 - Follow this link to read about the vaccines and their effectiveness from the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Additional COVID-19 resources from OKIB Health
OKIB Health has introduced several beneficial resources that speak to COVID-19 and what to do in the event a person develops respiratory / COVID-19 like symptoms. Please take some time to review and become familiar with these resources.
These are great resources for those seeking to answer the following questions:
- I have respiratory symptoms, what should I do?
- Should I go to work?
- Should I send my children to school?
- What if I am not the one sick but a family member is, what do I need to do?
- If I am sick, how long do I need to self-isolate for? When can I go back to work? When can I send my children back to school?
- What do I need to do if I decide not to test for COVID-19?
- What do I need to do if I do decide to test for COVID-19?
- If I do want to test for COVID who can I call and where is it done?
Please take a moment to review these resources, as I believe they will answer a lot of questions. Furthermore, and most importantly, it explains what a person would be required to do to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 within our community.
Let’s keep our community safe by being informed.
Way̓ lim ləmtx I Thank you
Amber Froste, RN
OKIB Community Health Nurse
Resources for reliable and current information
Follow these links for up-to-date information from reliable sources.
BC Centre for Disease Control:
- About the COVID-19 Vaccines and their effectiveness
- Questions and answers about COVID-19
- Information about COVID-19, how to protect yourself, your family and your community
- Self-isolation and testing
BC Ministry of Health:
First Nations Health Authority
- About the COVID-19 Vaccines and their effectiveness
- Coronavirus web portal
- Virtual Doctor of the Day program
- Process for a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a First Nations community
Government of Canada:
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC):
Previous communications from OKIB about the pandemic
- January 15, 2021 - Call OKIB Health to get on the list for COVID-19 vaccine 250-542-5094
- January 13, 2021 - COVID-19 Community Update (accurate at 4 p.m. January 13, 2021)
- January 13, 2021 - OKIB's first COVID-19 patient tells her story
- January 13, 2021 - COVID-19 Vaccine and how they work
- January 13, 2021 - Vaccines and their effectiveness from the First Nations Health Authority
- January 8, 2021 - Vaccines and their effectiveness from the BC Centre for Disease Control
- January 8, 2021 - COVID-19 Community Update (accurate at 4 p.m. January 8, 2021)
- January 7, 2021 - Several confirmed COVID-19 cases in Community
- November 20, 2020 - Province-wide restrictions in effect at OKIB
- October 6, 2020 - Community Flu Clinics will offer free shots to all community members
- October 6, 2020 - Summary table for testing, isolation and quarantine
- October 5, 2020 - COVID-19 Winter Heating Supplement is available for members 65+
- October 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News October edition now available
- September 11, 2020 - FNHA/FNHC/FNHDA urge Nations to protect each other
- September 10, 2020 - COVID-19 Risk Index chart
- September 10, 2020 - Mask Effectiveness chart
- September 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News September edition now available
- August 20, 2020 - OKIB Health's COVID-19 Pathway of Support and Resources for Community Members
- August 17, 2020 - Accessing Information about COVID-19 and COVID-19 testing
- August 10, 2020 - Cultural Immersion School tentative Return to School plan
- August 6, 2020 - Be prepared for a second wave (video)
- August 6, 2020 - Chief and Council advises OKIB community members to be prepared for a second wave
- August 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News August edition now available
- July 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News July edition now available
- June 24, 2020 - Safe opening procedures in place at OKIB facilities
- June 18, 2020 - Letter to parents: snc'c'amala?tn Early Childhood Education Centre reopening
- June 8, 2020 - Self-management resources for community members
- June 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News June 2020 edition now available
- May 26, 2020 - Meet the OKIB Food Distribution Team (video)
- May 15, 2020 - OKIB Community Garden (video)
- May 15, 2020 - Snc'c'amala?tn Summer Camp cancelled as a precaution
- May 15, 2020 - Watch a description about the community gardens (video)
- May 14, 2020 - Update on the food hamper distribution program (video)
- May 14, 2020 - COVID-19 highlights need for better access to health-related data in First Nation communities
- May 13, 2020 - Food hamper pick-up map and instructions
- May 12, 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Measures Bylaw
- May 10, 2020 - Education Department update (video)
- May 8, 2020 - COVID-19 testing available for OKIB community members and staff
- May 7, 2020 - Chief and Council to host Membership Forum by Zoom
- May 4, 2020 - Senk'lip News May 2020 edition now available
- May 1, 2020 - Cleaning and disinfecting helps prevent the spread of illness including COVID-19
- April 30, 2020 - Information regarding COVID-19 funding for membership
- April 29, 2020 - Information about the COVID-19 Education Supplement
- April 28, 2020 - BC Housing announces Temporary Rental Supplement program
- April 24, 2020 - OKIB food hamper program to commence monthly distribution
- April 21, 2020 - OKIB Nurses Hotline can answer questions and concerns about COVID-19
- April 20, 2020 - First Nations Virtual Doctor of the Day program connects members to doctors
- April 17, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about financial supports available to members (video)
- April 17, 2020 - The Narwhal interview with Chief Byron Louis: Balancing Indigenous food security with conservation
- April 14, 2020 - New word challenge contest
- April 13, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about what we have learned from past pandemics (video)
- April 10, 2020 - Easter hamper distribution (video)
- April 9, 2020 - Chief & Council encourage seasonal visitors to stay away until further notice
- April 8, 2020 - Summary of Financial Supports
- April 8, 2020 - Wear a face mask when shopping or using public transit
- April 7, 2020 - Good Food Box and Easter hamper pick up happens April 8, 9
- April 7, 2020 - Business as usual for Social Development staff
- April 7, 2020 - Volunteer income tax preparation will resume for previous clients
- April 6, 2020 - Large quantities of food arriving
- April 6, 2020 - Isolation Scavenger Hunt contest
- April 6, 2020 - Accessing language lessons online (video)
- April 5, 2020 - OKIB Hot Meals program ramping up (video)
- April 4, 2020 - Chief Louis provides an update on the Good Food Box program (video)
- April 3, 2020 - BC brings in more emergency supports for Indigenous students
- April 2, 2020 - Senk'lip News for April 2020
- April 2, 2020 - Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak
- April 1, 2020 - Indigenous Community Support funding allocation
- April 1, 2020 - Emergency Operations Centre update
- April 1, 2020 - OKIB's Pandemic Response Plan
- March 31, 2020 - Education Bulletin: A letter to parents and students
- March 30, 2020 - Government of Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan supports
- March 29, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis discusses the OKIB Nurses Hotline 250-241-7595 (video)
- March 27, 2020 - Prayer for the community from Elder Virginia Gregoire (video)
- March 26, 2020 - Economic and income supports available to members during the pandemic
- March 26, 2020 - Rent collection during office closure
- March 26, 2020 - Online wellbriety meetings
- March 25, 2020 - OKIB Fire Department to cease medical responses immediately
- March 24, 2020 - Chief Louis' video thanking staff (video)
- March 23, 2020 - What to do if you have symptoms
- March 20, 2020 - Pandemic update
- March 19, 2020 - Chief Louis' Pandemic video #1 (video)
- March 18, 2020 - You can help reduce the impact on community
- March 17, 2020 - Symptom self-assessment tool and information on testing
- March 17, 2020 - Daycare, Cultural Immersion School, Language Nest all closed until further notice
- March 16, 2020 - OKIB offices closed for three weeks; staff will continue to provide services
- March 13, 2020 - Events suspended and a recommendation to not travel