This page is OKIB's official source of information for members regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. Please bookmark this page and check back daily for updates.
Additional COVID-19 resources from OKIB Health
OKIB Health has introduced several beneficial resources that speak to COVID-19 and what to do in the event a person develops respiratory / COVID-19 like symptoms. Please take some time to review and become familiar with these resources.
These are great resources for those seeking to answer the following questions:
- I have respiratory symptoms, what should I do?
- Should I go to work?
- Should I send my children to school?
- What if I am not the one sick but a family member is, what do I need to do?
- If I am sick, how long do I need to self-isolate for? When can I go back to work? When can I send my children back to school?
- What do I need to do if I decide not to test for COVID-19?
- What do I need to do if I do decide to test for COVID-19?
- If I do want to test for COVID who can I call and where is it done?
Please take a moment to review these resources, as I believe they will answer a lot of questions. Furthermore, and most importantly, it explains what a person would be required to do to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 within our community.
Let’s keep our community safe by being informed.
Way̓ lim ləmtx I Thank you
Amber Froste, RN
OKIB Community Health Nurse
OKIB Community Flu Clinics
OKIB Community Flu Clinics will offer free flu shots to all community members
The COVID-19 pandemic has made it more important than ever to get immunized against the flu
Attend one of OKIB’s drop-in clinics and receive your FREE flu vaccination. Flu shots will be provided on a first come first serve order at the Health Centre (BlueBird Building).
Both Influenza and COVID-19 can make you feel very sick. If you start to feel unwell it can be hard to determine if you are sick because of the flu, especially during this time of COVID-19 pandemic. The flu vaccination will protect you from Influenza.
It is possible to have concurrent infections of Influenza and COVID-19, which are different viruses of different families. To avoid this, it is recommended that you get your annual flu shot.
If you have any questions please contact Health reception or Amber Froste, CHN, RN at 250-542-5094 or [email protected].
Flu Clinic Dates:
- Wednesday, October 14, 5 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, October 16, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 21, 5 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, October 23, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 28, 5 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, October 30, 1 to 4 p.m.
Flu Clinic Procedures:
Please follow COVID 19 infection prevention measures for these No appointment/Drop-in Flu Clinics, which are open to all OKIB Community Members:
- Do not attend clinics if you have any symptoms of respiratory or COVID-like illness
- Obey enter and exit signage
- Maintain social distancing (2 m / 6 ft. apart) at all times for yourself or those not in your group
- Line up at markers
- Wear a mask to Flu Clinic if possible
- Use hand sanitizer upon arrival
- Please follow directions provided by OKIB Health Staff. A staff representative will meet you upon entry and provide all necessary directions.
Previous communications from OKIB about the pandemic
- October 6, 2020 - Community Flu Clinics will offer free shots to all community members
- October 6, 2020 - Summary table for testing, isolation and quarantine
- October 5, 2020 - COVID-19 Winter Heating Supplement is available for members 65+
- October 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News October edition now available
- September 11, 2020 - FNHA/FNHC/FNHDA urge Nations to protect each other
- September 10, 2020 - COVID-19 Risk Index chart
- September 10, 2020 - Mask Effectiveness chart
- September 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News September edition now available
- August 20, 2002 - OKIB Health's COVID-19 Pathway of Support and Resources for Community Members
- August 17, 2020 - Accessing Information about COVID-19 and COVID-19 testing
- August 10, 2020 - Cultural Immersion School tentative Return to School plan
- August 6, 2020 - Be prepared for a second wave (video)
- August 6, 2020 - Chief and Council advises OKIB community members to be prepared for a second wave
- August 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News August edition now available
- July 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News July edition now available
- June 24, 2020 - Safe opening procedures in place at OKIB facilities
- June 18, 2020 - Letter to parents: snc'c'amala?tn Early Childhood Education Centre reopening
- June 8, 2020 - Self-management resources for community members
- June 1, 2020 - Senk'lip News June 2020 edition now available
- May 26, 2020 - Meet the OKIB Food Distribution Team (video)
- May 15, 2020 - OKIB Community Garden (video)
- May 15, 2020 - Snc'c'amala?tn Summer Camp cancelled as a precaution
- May 15, 2020 - Watch a description about the community gardens (video)
- May 14, 2020 - Update on the food hamper distribution program (video)
- May 14, 2020 - COVID-19 highlights need for better access to health-related data in First Nation communities
- May 13, 2020 - Food hamper pick-up map and instructions
- May 12, 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Measures Bylaw
- May 10, 2020 - Education Department update (video)
- May 8, 2020 - COVID-19 testing available for OKIB community members and staff
- May 7, 2020 - Chief and Council to host Membership Forum by Zoom
- May 4, 2020 - Senk'lip News May 2020 edition now available
- May 1, 2020 - Cleaning and disinfecting helps prevent the spread of illness including COVID-19
- April 30, 2020 - Information regarding COVID-19 funding for membership
- April 29, 2020 - Information about the COVID-19 Education Supplement
- April 28, 2020 - BC Housing announces Temporary Rental Supplement program
- April 24, 2020 - OKIB food hamper program to commence monthly distribution
- April 21, 2020 - OKIB Nurses Hotline can answer questions and concerns about COVID-19
- April 20, 2020 - First Nations Virtual Doctor of the Day program connects members to doctors
- April 17, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about financial supports available to members (video)
- April 17, 2020 - The Narwhal interview with Chief Byron Louis: Balancing Indigenous food security with conservation
- April 14, 2020 - New word challenge contest
- April 13, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis talks about what we have learned from past pandemics (video)
- April 10, 2020 - Easter hamper distribution (video)
- April 9, 2020 - Chief & Council encourage seasonal visitors to stay away until further notice
- April 8, 2020 - Summary of Financial Supports
- April 8, 2020 - Wear a face mask when shopping or using public transit
- April 7, 2020 - Good Food Box and Easter hamper pick up happens April 8, 9
- April 7, 2020 - Business as usual for Social Development staff
- April 7, 2020 - Volunteer income tax preparation will resume for previous clients
- April 6, 2020 - Large quantities of food arriving
- April 6, 2020 - Isolation Scavenger Hunt contest
- April 6, 2020 - Accessing language lessons online (video)
- April 5, 2020 - OKIB Hot Meals program ramping up (video)
- April 4, 2020 - Chief Louis provides an update on the Good Food Box program (video)
- April 3, 2020 - BC brings in more emergency supports for Indigenous students
- April 2, 2020 - Senk'lip News for April 2020
- April 2, 2020 - Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak
- April 1, 2020 - Indigenous Community Support funding allocation
- April 1, 2020 - Emergency Operations Centre update
- April 1, 2020 - OKIB's Pandemic Response Plan
- March 31, 2020 - Education Bulletin: A letter to parents and students
- March 30, 2020 - Government of Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan supports
- March 29, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis discusses the OKIB Nurses Hotline 250-241-7595 (video)
- March 27, 2020 - Prayer for the community from Elder Virginia Gregoire (video)
- March 26, 2020 - Economic and income supports available to members during the pandemic
- March 26, 2020 - Rent collection during office closure
- March 26, 2020 - Online wellbriety meetings
- March 25, 2020 - OKIB Fire Department to cease medical responses immediately
- March 24, 2020 - Chief Louis' video thanking staff (video)
- March 23, 2020 - What to do if you have symptoms
- March 20, 2020 - Pandemic update
- March 19, 2020 - Chief Louis' Pandemic video #1 (video)
- March 18, 2020 - You can help reduce the impact on community
- March 17, 2020 - Symptom self-assessment tool and information on testing
- March 17, 2020 - Daycare, Cultural Immersion School, Language Nest all closed until further notice
- March 16, 2020 - OKIB offices closed for three weeks; staff will continue to provide services
- March 13, 2020 - Events suspended and a recommendation to not travel
- February 28, 2020 - Information for travellers
- February 27, 2020 - How to protect yourself and your family
Resources for reliable and current information
Follow these links for up-to-date information from reliable sources.
BC Centre for Disease Control:
- Questions and answers about COVID-19
- Information about COVID-19, how to protect yourself, your family and your community
- Self-isolation and testing
BC Ministry of Health:
First Nations Health Authority
- Coronavirus web portal
- Virtual Doctor of the Day program
- Process for a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a First Nations community
Government of Canada:
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC):