This page is OKIB's official source of information for members regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. Please bookmark this page and check back daily for updates.
Good Food Box and Easter hamper pick up happens April 8, 9
April 7, 2020 - Members, great news today as the Good Food Boxes for Elders and those requiring assistance will be available for pick-up tomorrow (one per household please):
- Good Food Box pick-up at New Horizons on Wednesday, April 8, from 3 to 5 p.m.
Plus, this Thursday for one time only we will have Easter hampers available for members (one per household please):
- Easter hamper pick-up at New Horizons on Thursday, April 9, from 1 to 4 p.m.
This is a one-time only distribution to help everyone enjoy the Easter weekend during this difficult time.
There will be signs at New Horizons telling you where to stop. Simply pop your trunk or hatch and we will load it for you.
Large quantities of food arriving
April 6, 2020 - Members, staff are working around the clock on sourcing more food for our food boxes for this week. Food hampers will be available for pick-up Wednesday and Thursday this week. More details to follow.
OKIB Hot Meals program ramping up
April 5, 2020 - Watch as Chief Byron Louis on behalf of Council delivers the good news about the hot meal program for Elders and those requiring assistance. The meals are delivered twice per week by the home care aides with about 100 meals currently being delivered weekly. The program will continue until things return to normal.
Chief and Council remind everyone that we have to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to do that we need to isolate; to practice good hygiene; to practice social distancing; and to avoid close physical contact with Elders.
Chief Byron Louis provides an update on the good food box program
April 4, 2020 - Members, watch as Chief Byron Louis on behalf of Council provides an update on the good food box program.
If you know someone who needs a good food box delivery please contact Rosalie at 250-306-1756.
The good food box program is ramping up as we source produce and goods from reliable suppliers. The boxes will be filled with more food as it arrives.
Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak
April 2, 2020 - This fact sheet from the Government of Canada contains information for Indigenous communities, including descriptions about the program changes and links to apply. Read the fact sheet titled Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak.
What to do if you have symptoms
March 23, 2020, Today the Okanagan Indian Band Health Department issued a bulletin for all members about what to do if you have symptoms.
If you have any of these symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Flu-like feelings
- Trouble with your breathing
You are required to do the following:
- Self-isolate immediately (stay home and away from others).
- Use the online COVID-19 Symptom Self-assessment Tool or call 8-1-1.
- Call the OKIB Nurses Hotline Number at 250-241-7595 to let the OKIB Nurses know that you or your family are self-isolating.
IT IS VITAL THAT ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS FOLLOW THESE STEPS.
IF EVERYONE FOLLOWS THESE STEPS WE CAN REDUCE THE RISK OF COVID-19 TO OUR COMMUNITY.
OUR COMMUNITY’S HEALTH AND WELLNESS DEPENDS ON IT.
Previous communications from OKIB about the pandemic
- April 7, 2020 - Good Food Box and Easter hamper pick up happens April 8, 9
- April 7, 2020 - Business as usual for Social Development staff
- April 7, 2020 - Volunteer income tax preparation will resume for previous clients
- April 6, 2020 - Large quantities of food arriving
- April 6, 2020 - Isolation Scavenger Hunt contest
- April 6, 2020 - Accessing language lessons online (video)
- April 5, 2020 - OKIB Hot Meals program ramping up (video)
- April 4, 2020 - Chief Louis provides an update on the Good Food Box program (video)
- April 3, 2020 - BC brings in more emergency supports for Indigenous students
- April 2, 2020 - Senk'lip News for April 2020
- April 2, 2020 - Accessing financial benefits and support during the COVID-19 outbreak
- April 1, 2020 - Indigenous Community Support funding allocation
- April 1, 2020 - Emergency Operations Centre update
- April 1, 2020 - OKIB's Pandemic Response Plan
- March 31, 2020 - Education Bulletin: A letter to parents and students
- March 30, 2020 - Government of Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan supports
- March 29, 2020 - Chief Byron Louis discusses the OKIB Nurses Hotline 250-241-7595 (video)
- March 27, 2020 - Prayer for the community from Elder Virginia Gregoire (video)
- March 26, 2020 - Economic and income supports available to members during the pandemic
- March 26, 2020 - Rent collection during office closure
- March 26, 2020 - Online wellbriety meetings
- March 25, 2020 - OKIB Fire Department to cease medical responses immediately
- March 24, 2020 - Chief Louis' video thanking staff (video)
- March 23, 2020 - What to do if you have symptoms
- March 20, 2020 - Pandemic update
- March 19, 2020 - Chief Louis' Pandemic video #1 (video)
- March 18, 2020 - You can help reduce the impact on community
- March 17, 2020 - Symptom self-assessment tool and information on testing
- March 17, 2020 - Daycare, Cultural Immersion School, Language Nest all closed until further notice
- March 16, 2020 - OKIB offices closed for three weeks; staff will continue to provide services
- March 13, 2020 - Events suspended and a recommendation to not travel
- February 28, 2020 - Information for travellers
- February 27, 2020 - How to protect yourself and your family
Resources for reliable and current information
Follow these links for up-to-date information from reliable sources.
BC Centre for Disease Control:
- Questions and answers about COVID-19
- Information about COVID-19, how to protect yourself, your family and your community
- Self-isolation and testing
BC Ministry of Health:
Government of Canada:
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC):